Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 181 - June 30

How have I been since I last updated? Well, I had a splendid birthday party, complete with Danish flags and many, many sweets. I think it’s safe to say my sweets stomach was overfull. The very next day, Mom arrived. One bag went missing (and arrived only later that day – Denmark is efficient!), so she did not come out for such a long time we began to think something had happened. But after that bump in the road, everything was fine and dandy, and it’s been so great having Mom around!

On the 27th, we had one last hoorah, entitled by us the “crying party”. While no crying was actually involved (by the time the goodbyes came around, I was too tired, which was probably a good thing), it was definitely an upsetting experience when it was all said and done. I’ve had the most amazing time and met the most amazing people. And while I’m still in Europe for another month and a half, and while the friendships are not ending, it’s already setting in that my life is no longer in Copenhagen. I won’t be seeing these people every day, I won’t be struggling in the supermarket wondering why in the world they don’t have something, I won’t be saying the word “chokolaaaaaade” in that exaggerated tone. Not that I’m not excited to go back – I most definitely am, but if I could turn back time, and have another six months, I would do it in a heartbeat. There’s a little hole in my heart where my life in Copenhagen was. Soon, I’ll adjust back and the hole will be bandaged, but it will always be there, and, of course, that’s how I would have it. But it’s on to the next adventures in life, with more friends than before, and more homes to crash in (let’s just say I already have the next few vacations already planned out…).

Early in the morning on the 29th, Mom and I headed to Oslo, Norway. Maybe it was because I was running on two hours of sleep, but I’ve heard it from other people as well – Oslo just isn’t that impressive. It’s a nice enough city, I suppose, but I’ve been spoiled by some of Europe’s most beautiful cities. I recommend Oslo only if you’re already going to Norway, and if you have plenty of money. However, it does have some absolutely gorgeous Viking ships. Other thoughts: Most Norwegians have less of an accent than Danes – far less. The weather is less bipolar than Copenhagen, but it did still pour for a morning, then, after we had changed into warmer clothes, get almost too hot, then go back to spitting again. Their public transportation system, or what I have experienced of it, is rather not as nice, as public transportation goes (but here I am, being spoiled once again, when I should be grateful that there even IS a public transportation system). They are obsessed with trolls, or their tourist shops are, anyway. As my experiences with Scandinavian countries go, Norway is more different from Denmark compared to Sweden, which is like Denmark-but-not. Oslo only seems more expensive to me in the fact that we are actually eating out, and so I’m aware of prices, whereas in Copenhagen, I tended to stay away from restaurants. I have not stepped in a supermarket to see how prices compare there, but so far, many things are actually comparable to Copenhagen.

I would like to return to other parts of Norway, especially as these are my kinsmen!

From now on, if I update this blog, it’s going to be picture-less and not day-by-day (I hear a sigh of relief – no more long-windedness and thousands of photos!). It’ll make it easier for me to keep up with this blog while traversing the northern countries. Next stop: Helsinki!

2 comments:

  1. O Piratical Penguin
    Forgive the blunt sanguine
    style my exposition
    takes as interruption:

    I most ardently and truly love your blog and can't wait to hear more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adjusting just doesn't sound fun at all. You've probably answered this somewhere and I'm forgetting (I'm at work, so I can't thoroughly check), but did Copenhagen ever feel like home? I mean, REALLY home? I'm just curious because that would make it so much sadder. I know that the last time we talked about this, it was about how your family was in AK but your school was in MA. I guess this is a question for another place, yes? :)

    Sigh of relief from LACK of photos? NEVER!

    ReplyDelete